Senior Technical Lead – Disability Inclusion
Shule Bora (Quality School) for Tanzanian Education programme
Contract: Two Year Fixed Term (with possibility of extension depending on good performance) and could be renewed for a period of up to seven years)
Salary: circa TZS 135,679,124 per annum. Local terms and conditions apply including regional benefits
Sightsavers is recruiting for a Senior Technical Lead – Disability Inclusion for an anticipated six-year, DFID-funded education programme in Tanzania. Shule Bora seeks to improve quality, inclusiveness, and safety of learning for all 11.5 million girls and boys in government pre-primary and primary schools in Tanzania. In addition to providing support to government systems at the national level, Shule Bora will provide additional focused support to an estimated 4.4 million children in 9 regions.
About the role:
The Senior Technical Lead – Disability Inclusion will be based in Dodoma and will work closely with the Government of Tanzania, Ministry of Education Science and Technology (MoEST), the President’s Office Regional and Local Government (PO-RALG), Regional Governments, District Governments and other key stakeholders to collaboratively achieve the Shule Bora Outcome related to disability: ‘Children with disabilities access and learn in schools’ (one of four Programme Outcomes).
The Senior Technical Lead – Disability Inclusion will be required to:
- Design, develop and support the implementation of project interventions to address the inclusion of children with disabilities in education
- Provide technical guidance and quality assurance to project interventions designed specifically to address problems related to children with disabilities
- Provide oversight across the programme to ensure that all interventions across all four outcomes are disability inclusive
- Work closely with monitoring, evaluation, learning and research teams to ensure that interventions are informed by, and generate evidence, to adapt to become more efficient and effective (implementation research)
- Manage a team (based in Dodoma, and across the 9 implementation regions) to oversee disability inclusive project interventions
This is an involved role, please read the full job description
The ideal candidate will have strategic leadership experience and technical level expertise in both disability and education. You will have the ability to represent the organisation; build collaboration and develop partnerships with external stakeholders, especially in governments and local organisations.
It is anticipated that you will be a Tanzanian national with strong connections to the Tanzanian Ministry of Education. You will possess excellent oral and written English language skills and knowledge of Swahili would be a real advantage.
Preferred experience/ qualifications for the Senior Technical Lead – Disability Inclusion:
- A postgraduate qualification or substantial equivalent experience in a relevant field (education, social work/social inclusion, disability studies etc.).
- Excellent knowledge of current issues and best practice in the fields of education and disability inclusion. Experience in gender and inclusive development would be an advantage.
- Demonstrable experience of working in the education sector in Tanzania and/or other development contexts.
- Experience of designing/managing disability inclusive education programmes designed to facilitate the inclusion of the most marginalised children and promote their learning.
- Familiarity with international and Tanzanian legislation and policies in the field inclusive education, and knowledge of the key national and international networks and organisations working on inclusive education.
- Understanding and experience of introducing and using accessible and assistive technology to support the learning needs of children with disabilities.
- Experience in developing training materials and coordinating the facilitation and evaluation of training sessions in low-resource settings, particularly with people with disabilities.
- Experience in collating, synthesising and disseminating best practice guidance and programme learning.
- Experience in using participatory methodologies for planning, evaluation or research.
We will review and assess applications upon receipt. Unfortunately, we cannot accept CVs for this position, unless accompanying a completed application made via our recruitment portal. Sightsavers is preparing to bid for this programme and this role is dependent upon the outcome of that process.
Closing date: We will review and assess applications upon receipt so please complete your application as soon as you are able to after reviewing the job description
Interviews: We anticipate that remote interviews will be held in early September 2020
The deadline for submitting the application is September 06, 2020