INTERNAL/EXTERNAL VACANCY NOTICE **
UNHCR Field Office Kibondo invites qualified internal and external candidates to apply for the following position:
Vacancy Notice No: KBO/VA/2020/001
Position Title: Shelter Associate
Category/Grade: General Service, GL6
Type of Appointment: Temporary Appointment (TA)-Maternity leave replacement
Remuneration: Attractive salary (G6) and entitlements according to UN Staff Rules and Regulations
Duty Station: Kibondo, Tanzania
Duration: 04 months
Closing Date: 25 March 2020 **
The Shelter Associate provides support and assistance on shelter and general infrastructure related activities within the Kibondo Field Office. The incumbent needs to have relevant technical background in order to provide the appropriate analysis, assessment, planning (including designing and cost estimation), implementation, monitoring and evaluation support to shelter response provided to people of concern (PoC) in Kibondo office
As part of the shelter team, the Shelter Associate assists in ensuring smooth implementation of the UNHCR Shelter Programme throughout the project life-cycle, in particular to ensure compliance with technical specifications and aspects in programme delivery (based on national, international and UNHCR’s shelter guidelines and best practice); for adequate advice on the technical integrity, cultural suitability and adequacy of implementation arrangements for UNHCR’s shelter and infrastructure assistance programme.
The incumbent works independently, and reports to the Shelter Officer, who defines general work objectives.
The Shelter Associate keeps frequent internal contacts with staff members in the same duty station to exchange information, to establish understanding of respective needs; to ensure provision of services and resolution of problems and with the external contacts generally with officials of national and international institutions, leaders of the refugee community, local population and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on subject matters which may be of importance to the Organization.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Participate in shelter needs assessment missions to shelter and infrastructure projects’ fields/sites. Provide detailed technical input required for shelter, physical planning and infrastructure projects’ plans, with due consideration to environmental concerns, local context, UNHCR operation and capacity of implementing partners.
- Provide technical support to UNHCR IPs in all the aspects relating to shelter and infrastructure projects through the whole project life-cycle (according to UNHCR, Sphere, and National Standards), liaising cross sectoral as appropriate
- In the case of direct implementation by UNHCR (contractor led approach), assist in planning, supervising, monitoring and reporting project activities undertaken by UNHCR.
- Assist UNHCR’s Shelter IPs in technical preparation, technical revision and technical evaluation of detailed shelter and infrastructure rehabilitation projects, including (but not limited to) repair of damaged houses, shelter packages, access road works, WASH facilities, schools, health units, bakeries, civil affairs and other public buildings by revising technical specifications, BQs, cost estimations and tender documents.
- Provide regular technical monitoring, guidance and supervision in shelter, construction, and infrastructure projects. This includes making recommendations to enhance work progress, time schedules, and procurement of the required shelter materials to ensure timely implementation.
- Work closely with UNHCR Programme, Protection, Supply and Field Units and assist in all technical queries (project-plans, BQ, cost estimations, tender process and technical assessment) for program clearance and technical evaluation.
- Work closely with inter-agency coordination officers to assist updating preparedness and emergency plans and make sure contingency stock of items/materials for emergency shelter response are in place.
- Work closely with communication officers to assist finalizing the technical factsheet for PI purpose and contribute to reporting to donors regarding post-monitoring visits, technical results and identified gaps.
- Liaise and coordinate with stakeholders of shelter and infrastructure projects and provide regular technical reports to the supervisor and to other colleagues as appropriate.
- Monitor the implementation of shelter and infrastructure construction activities and report through standard channels e.g. SIP making information available for functional unit
- Liaise with local authorities, NGOs and IPs on shelter and infrastructure projects.
- Provide technical support and advice on shelter related activities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
- Certificate in Civil Engineering, Architecture or other relevant field.
- 6 years relevant experience with High school diploma
- English language is essential for the work of the post.
- Another UN language and good knowledge of the local language is an asset.
Relevant Job Experience
- Knowledge of SPHERE standards and the ability to use basic survey equipment, digital cameras, and computer equipment. Experience in developing shelter and settlement need assessments and undertaking gap analysis for development of shelter programs.
- Knowledge of computer graphics, AutoCAD and mapping software as well as the capacity to use mapping tools (GPS), and digital photographic equipment, and related software (map info etc.).
- IT-MS Office Applications
- SP-Autocad software
- SP-CAD/CAM Computer-Aided Design & Manufacturing
- MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
- SP-Sphere Handbook
- SP-Shelter Assessment including survey/implementation/monitoring/evaluation/coordination
- SP-Shelter and Site Planning Technical Guidelines and Standards
- UN-Knowledge of UN/UNHCR terminology
How to apply
Interested applicants should express their interest by completing UNHCR Personal History Form and its Supplementary form if needed in full. Please note that submission of the Personal History Form which is not signed may render the application ineligible for consideration. Submission of the Personal History Form is MANDATORY and cannot be substituted by a Curriculum Vitae. Please quote the Vacancy Notice Number and Position title as the subject of your email.
The Expression of Interest for the position should be sent only by Email to:
UNHCR Field Office Kibondo
Email: [email protected]
Due to the volume of applications only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date 25 Mar 2020
Shortlisted Candidates will be required to sit for a written/practical test.
Qualified female and candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply. **