UBONGO is Africa’s leading producer of kids’ edutainment. As a non-profit social enterprise, we create fun, localised and multi-platform educational content that helps kids learn, and leverage their learning to change their lives. Ubongo reaches millions of families across Africa through accessible technologies like TV, radio and mobile phones. Our show’s Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me currently air nationwide in 18 countries across Africa, in Swahili, English, French Kinyarwanda, Kikuyu, Luo, Yoruba and Hausa. This is a great time to join an organisation that’s rapidly growing across the continent, and work with a creative and impact-driven team committed to reaching as many families in Africa with life-changing edutainment.
We are looking for a Social Media Intern with experience in social media marketing to work collaboratively with our Social Media Associate to grow the user engagement and reach of our social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn). The ideal candidate should be able to create engaging content around and about our shows, keep the pages lively and engage with the audience on a daily basis.
You are a good candidate if:
- You have the ability to think outside the box and create content that is engaging and keeps people involved
- You have social media marketing know-how, and have worked on a brand via social media for at least 6 months.
- You are ready to try out various content in order to achieve the highest engagement
- You are able to work in a team to execute social media campaigns
- You have an interest in market research and love understanding consumer behavior. Because of this you love learning about different audience types for specific targeted ad campaigns and testing to see how they react to different messaging.
- You find patterns in campaign results and you report insights as well as suggestions for improvement.
- You have good English and Swahili writing skills
- You have the ability to work independently and to think on your feet
- You are a persistent but empathetic pusher. We’ve got to get things DONE.
- Willing to speak up for what’s right, when you see wrong, or when you think there might be a better way.
- Persistence! We have a big goal and have to get things done with limited resources.
- ‘UTU’ (a Swahili word for humanity). This implies that you are honest, trustworthy, transparent and conscientious.
- Passionate about education, storytelling, and being a changemaker.
- Can work well in a dynamic environment with people in multiple countries.
- Someone who loves kids. They’re why we do what we do. They’re running around our office all the time. Our kids’ music and videos will become part of your life (and constantly stuck in your head).
Your day-to-day responsibilities require you to:
- Daily updates of content on social media channels for all languages
- Populating the Languages Social Media spreadsheet for Hausa, French and Kinyarwanda.
- Engagement with audiences on the different platforms
- Market research (what are other edtech companies doing on social media)
These responsibilities might grow after your demonstrated work ethics.
- You love what we do, and are driven by our mission and values
- A minimum of at least 6 months’ experience in social media marketing
- Knowledge of various social media platforms and best practices,
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Up-to-date on the latest trends social media marketing