Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Agribusiness Development Officer at Solidaridad
Solidaridad is a global civil society organization (CSO) that provides market driven solutions for sustainable production practices across different supply chains. We envision a world in which all we produce, and all we consume, can sustain us while respecting the planet, each other and the next generations. Our mission is to bring together supply chain players and engage them with innovative solutions to improve production, ensuring the transition to a sustainable and inclusive economy that maximizes the benefit for all stakeholders.
Position: Project Officer, Monitoring, Evaluation and Agribusiness Development
Duration: 1-year contract (extension based on performance)
Reporting line: Country Projects Representative – Tanzania
Location: Moshi, Tanzania
Main objective of the function
With support from the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Solidaridad is implementing Sustainable Landscape Innovation (SLI) and Coffee programs in the Kilimanjaro region of Tanzania. The SLI program aims at addressing sustainable land and Policy issues that over time contributed to retracted inclusivity in sustainable development. The program is implemented in five districts around Mount Kilimanjaro namely; Longido, Meru, Moshi rural Hai and Rombo; and it is focusing on three commodities; Livestock, Coffee and banana as main commodities supporting livelihood for people within the landscape. The Coffee program is implemented in coffee growing zones of Kilimanjaro landscape.
The Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Agribusiness Development Officer will work closely with the regional programme teams, regional innovations team (i.e. climate & landscapes, digital innovation, impact investment and gender), and quality functions team (including finance, communications, operations and PMEL), for alignment to organisational procedures. The Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Agribusiness Development Officer will also work closely with Solidaridad Network team members. The right candidate will be based in Moshi -Tanzania, with regular extensive local travel. The Project Officer will report directly to the Tanzania Country Projects Representative, Solidaridad Eastern & Central Africa.
Roles and Responsibilities
Implementation of Monitoring & Evaluation and coordination (60% time):
- Assist the Regional M&E program manager to build a participatory monitoring system for the targeted individual farmers and farmer groups;
- Support Regional M&E manager to maintain a database to capture all the project’s M&E activities, and results, and enhancing the information management of M&E related documents;
- Assist in data collection, collation and management
- Provide technical support and back-up to external consultants conducting surveys and impact measurements
- Assist in collection of outcome-level data (knowledge/behavior changes, awareness/satisfaction levels) at separate times from project implementation
- Provide technical advice on M&E, and lead in the analysis of projects’ baseline, evaluations and impact-assessment data, using qualitative and quantitative methods
- Assist in regularly updating all relevant M&E documents, including quarterly reporting formats
- Be responsible for working with Project Managers to ensure that M&E is well integrated at all the stages of programs
- Provide support and training to staff, interns, community facilitators and partners to increase the use of M&E tools and approaches
- Ensure the integrity and quality of data in support of citizen-generated data and other metrics and surveys
Agribusiness and Market facilitation 40%
- Demonstrate skills and knowledge on coffee, banana farming, and livestock husbandry
- Support capacity building to farmers and implementation of best practices for coffee, banana and livestock production at the farm level
- Support capacity building and implementation of land cover technologies
- Support capacity building and implementation of best irrigation and best water conservation technologies to farmers whenever applicable
- Ability to work and ensure a good relationship with Multi-stakeholders in landscape innovations.
- Support scaling up of SLI innovations in the mentioned value chain
- Support in conducting value chain analyses for identified landscape pilots
- Develop & lead the implementation of such innovations that accelerate small holder farmers and rural women engagement higher up the value chain
- Support farmer groups to map strategic agri-markets and build sustainable market linkages
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or development studies; Specialization in Research, monitoring & Evaluation is highly preferred
- Excellent communication and report writing skills, including experience of working effectively across cultures and with diverse audiences with minimal supervisión;
- A team player with excellent organisational skills;
- A self-starter with the initiative and confidence to lead in their designated field – can work independently and prioritize own workload;
- Ability to work under pressure yet deliver multiple tasks on time with attention to detail and accuracy;
- Knowledge and understanding of project monitoring, evaluation and M&E trends and discourse including environmental conservation and ecosystem services.
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in developing and implementing M&E systems in NGOs or other development sector players;
- Understanding of research and evaluation methodologies (qualitative and quantitative)
- Skilled in designing and managing data-gathering exercises effectively from field operations.
- Strong computer skills, including statistical packages (SPSS), and the ability to interpret data
- Experience working in gender, and social inclusion or accountability projects or programmes
- Knowledge in Agribusiness, private sector engagement and market development
- Proven abilities in working with institutions and rural communities with diverse cultures.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a one-page motivation statement outlining your suitability for this position, your salary expectations and availability; and your Curriculum Vitae, to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy to email@example.com
Application deadline is on 10th February 2019 and our ideal start date is Immediate.