Aga Khan Health Services Tanzania (AKHST) – an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) is a non-profit international organization that supports social development programs In Tanzania. AKHST is committed in providing quality health care to patients and promoting health sciences in Tanzania. With this ongoing mandate, The Aga Khan-Health Services Tanzania (AKHST) has embarked on a major expansion that will see the development of tertiary-level services, educational and quality initiatives. AKHST will be implementing a new and exciting project: Improving Access to Reproductive Maternal and Newborn Health (MNH) in Mwanza, Tanzania (IMPACT). This is a four year Global affairs Canada (GAC) initiative which will contribute to the reduction of maternal and newborn mortality by improving the availability and utilization of gender sensitive – quality MNH services for women and their families in underserved areas of all eight underserved districts of Mwanza Tanzania. IMPACT through a public private partnership (PPP), will work closely with Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC), local stakeholders, the community and local government to facilitate the behavior change, create demand and increase availability and utilization of maternal and newborn health (MNH) services. AKHST is seeking for enthusiastic and qualified personnel for the following position for a newly funded Maternal, Newborn and Child Health to be based in Mwanza :
SPECIALIST OBSTETRICIAN AND GYNAECOLOGIST – 1 POSITION
The OBGYN specialist will set an actionable plan for comprehensive delivery of clinical care at the BEmONC and CEmONC facilities across the IMPACT catchment areas in Mwanza region. He /She will work with IMPACT Quality Improvement Coordinator, Project Nurses, health facility staff and district health teams to deliver a high quality obstetric and newborn patient care and maintain quality standards. He/ she will initiate a context-oriented on the job training /practical demonstrations at facility levels through role modeling, support the development of systems for sustainability of the quality systems at BEmONC and CEmONC facilities through evidence-based clinical care guidelines and a culture of continuous quality improvement.
The OBGYN specialist will report to the Senior Programme Manager. The priorities of the OBGYN specialist will be to meet and exceed the targets for implementing standards for BEmONC and CEmONC facilities, increase facility deliveries, post natal care and ensure effective referral systems, timely emergency care for women with obstetric complications, ensure systems are in place for availability of blood and blood products for emergencies, newborn care, quality standards including patient satisfaction. He/she will participate on maternal and newborn mortality reviews and audits, district health forums, quality trainings including and schedule clinical sessions with doctors, anaesthetic technicians and nurses , and mentor doctors and nurses at CEmONC facilities. He/ she will engage active engagement with facility governance committiees on various aspects of health systems improvement in the region.
- Coordinate and ensure quality clinical service provision ( OBGYN and newborn care) and education within BEmONC and CEmONC Facilities
- Ensure plans for operationalizing fully Operating theatres and ensure targets are achieved
- Develop a system to track and report learning metrics of individual doctors involved in BEmONC and CEmONC services
- Ensure clinical quality initiatives are established and targets are met
- Participate in the CHMTs supportive supervisions and ensure actions are taken and feedback systems are developed
- Participate in the regional and distirct level maternal and perinatal death surveillance and response (MPDSR) review meetings with action points for implementation
- Organize and actively participate in seminar-based and clinical teaching at facility levels.
- Train, mentor and supervise doctors involved in BEmONC and CEmONC services to be able to:
- Independently manage OBGYN problems and emergency OBGYN operations to the highest level of competence,
- Set up, organize and manage OBGYN services (including operating theatres) in the BEmONC and CEmONC Facilities
- Ensure coordination with health facility committees and community health programme to increase access to quality OBGYN care and referrals.
- Teach doctors, nurses and other health care providers in OBGYN.
- Capacitate nurses and other health care providers on proper use of pathograph and interpretation
- Ensure professional and efficient management of Obstetrics and other Emergencies
- Provide regular on-call support to district hospitals / CEmONC where necessary
- Participate in continuing medical education, including journal clubs in District hospitals
- Organize and conduct seminars in evidence-based medicine, clinical epidemiology and other focused HMIS activities
- Facilitate public private partnerships to reduce maternal and new born mortality especially in public facilities
- Develop, pilot and implement effective educational tools to enhance learning and teaching at facility levels.
- Participate in formal, periodic evaluation of doctors and nurses at BEmONC and CEmONC Facilities
- Assist in update and/or enhancement of clinical guidelines and therapeutic/diagnostic approaches.
- Participate in identifing and developing opportunities for collaborative research .
- Participate in developing collaborative research teams in research papers lead by MERL unit
- Ensure the region’s vision for the BEmONC and CEmONC facilities are met and effectively communicate how it contributes to the success of staff, districts and the region.
- Enhance the structure and design of clinical service provision and training.
- Be accountable for the performance of the BEmONC and CEmONC facilities – facility deliveries, Quality of Care and capacity building
- Work closely with CHMTs to retain talented OBGYN Drs in CEmONC Facilities and other staff members to fulfill the needs and missions of the region
- Develop doctors mentoring program for the CEmONC Facilities
- Support the development and implementation of administrative tools and structures required for CEmONC Facilities operations, including the creation of program evaluations tools.
- Set individual doctors goals specific to talents, interest and responsibilities.
- Conduct formal, periodic evaluation of consultants and doctors, at CEmONC Facilities
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Masters in OBGYN or Board certified or fellows of their respective colleges in the field of OBGYN
- Evidence of encouraging and supporting quality in OBGYN and creating an environment of professionalism, respect, tolerance, and acceptance.
- Demonstrated record of excellent clinical skills, a talent for teaching and interest in heath systems strengthening
- Demonstrated record of high quality professional OBGYN Skills
- Demonstrated ability to balance education, research and clinical care.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically, and to work flexibly and independently with multiple reporting relationships.
- Emotional intelligence and personal maturity, enthusiasm for working in a developing country, cultural flexibility and competence, and a passion for improving healthcare delivery.
- Strategic and innovative thinking skills, and the ability to foster interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Experience in evidence-based medicine, quality improvement, data-driven decision making and program evaluation.
- Professional experience in cross-cultural settings is strongly preferred
- Minimum working experience of three/five years,
Duty Station: Mwanza, Tanzania, the Specialist will be required to travel extensively and perform his/her duties at all eight councils of Mwanza to project targeted health facilities.
Complete applications should be submitted electronically to:
The Aga Khan Health Services at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of the position or hand delivered to Primary Medical
Center – Mwanza and Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam , P. O. Box 2289, Ocean Road, Dar es Salaam.
Closing date for submission of the application package is end of business day on 18th July, 2020