Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents. The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Gold fields of North Western Tanzania, only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s South East of the nearest point of Lake Victoria. The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam. Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Position: Specialist – Underground Mine Production
Job Number: GGM-2020-XUG-07
Number of Positions: 2.
Works For: Senior Specialist – Underground Mine Production
• BEng Mining / Engineering Degree or equivalent
• 5+ years’ proven experience in mine production in underground mining environment of which at least three (3) years is at an advanced technical level within a production department.
• Experience working with International UG mining contractors who operate underground mechanized trackless equipment will be highly regarded.
• High skill level with UG mine planning software (Vulcan/StudioUG/EPS).
• Proven experience and ability to create and manage budgets for a UG operation.
• Longhole stoping drill and blast experience highly regarded.
Purpose of the Role: The purpose of the role is to support, develop and train an effective local team capable of delivering industry leading practices within an underground mine environment, particularly underground mine production activities related to planning, drill and blast & technical support functions.
Main or Key Accountabilities:
SAFETY & ENVIRONMENT
• Execute AGA Safety practices required for the task.
• Identify, understand and address safety hazards and risks related to the task.
• Determine what could go wrong and what needs to be done to work safely before starting a task and help others to work safely.
• Continually look for new hazards in the workplace and report them to Supervisor.
• Demonstrate work behaviors consistent with the company Safety Vision & Values and work within prescribed boundaries.
• Promptly report all injuries, illnesses and incidents.
• Suggest ways of improving Safety performance within Geology department.
• Speak up if he/she thinks that the task cannot be done safely and courage to talk to Supervisor he/she thinks of being unable to work at his/her best.
• Establish and maintain processes to ensure that all environmental risks and emerging issues are identified and mitigation plans to put in place
TRAINING & SKILLS TRANSFER
• Identify and develop emerging talents within a multi-discipline team.
• Build and lead the mining drill and blast and technical support teams and assist in the development of local mining engineers.
• Provide specialist support in key processes and systems to drive the best performance from all team members.
• Analyse and Identify key skills & knowledge required by all team members in order to carry out their roles effectively and safely.
TECHNICAL / PRODUCTION
• Demonstrate advanced application of Underground Mining Production Processes & Practices.
• Provide specialist support in key underground mining processes and performance optimisation.
• Establish and maintain processes to ensure the technical aspects of the operations which include mine planning, survey, fleet management, drill & blast, and have the required resources in place to support the mining operations.
• Demonstrate advanced application of principles of underground mine design including production and development using highly mechanised underground trackless equipment, ventilation systems, production techniques.
• Work to support underground lateral development and production management teams, together with technical support services along with contract management.
• Demonstrate advanced understanding of appropriate underground geotechnical evaluation methods.
• Advise the best practice drilling & blasting techniques to reduce blast damage and dilution in an underground mine environment.
• Proactively identify impacts, issues and opportunities associated with changes in other disciplines/ process (and vice versa).
• Lead minor to medium projects and interact with test work and engineering consultant service providers
COST MANAGEMENT & CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
• Identify areas for improvement in operational blueprints (systems, processes, procedures & tasks) to ensure compliance to plan, reduce variation and maximise cost effective utilisation.
• Interpret data to initiate and drive the operational improvements as required.
• Use cost-benefit thinking to set priorities and identify cost-effective approaches.
• Actively look for ways to manage costs without impacting on planned outcomes using the OE (Operational Excellence) approach.
• Provide support in generating annual mine budget in line with Company Strategic Options and associated mining physicals.
• Establish and maintain processes to ensure the development of optimised short term and medium-term (3MS) plans that ensure delivery of the budget requirements and the operations strategy.
• Generate innovative solutions, which continuously improve the performance of existing assets, products, services or processes.
• 1 to 2 years’ experience working with the P500 and Operational Excellence (OE) initiatives or equivalent will be advantageous.
• Worked in highly mechanised underground longhole stoping operations.
• Advanced knowledge in contract management practices, technical consultants and operational mining contracts.
• Advanced understanding of project management standards and has applied them in a minor – medium project to conceptual level.
• Demonstrate advance level of knowledge of planning systems and practices from long term to short term mine planning.
• The ability to work across all disciplines, where rigorous engagement and interaction is expected.
• The ability to handle conflict resolution.
• The ability to utilise equipment, office software -MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) to prepare correspondence, reports, forms, mailings;
• The ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with good presentation and facilitation skills.
• The ability to use statistical methods to analyse, validate & verify analytical data with a strong attention to detail.
• The ability to work and communicate with people at all levels/good interpersonal skills.
Mode of Application:
Application cover letter (Subject should be: Specialist – Underground Mine Production and/or quote the job number), detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates, e- mail and telephone contacts, names and addresses of three referees, to be forwarded to below address.
You will be required to bring original certificates if you are contacted for interviews.
Contact Address: Senior Manager Human Resources,
Geita Gold Mining Ltd,
NB: Internal applicants may submit applications to departmental Senior Supervisor Technical. All internal applications must be endorsed by the applicant’s head of department.
- Application letters should reach the above on or before 25th August 2020 — 17hr30.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
BEWARE OF CONMEN! GGML does not receive money in exchange for a job position. Should you be asked for money in exchange for a job offer or suspect such activity, please report this immediately to our Security Department, Investigation Unit, by calling +255 28 216 01 40 Ext 1559 (rates apply) or use our whistle-blowing channels by sending an SMS to +27 73 573 8075 (SMS rates apply) or emailing email@example.com or use the internet at www.tip-offs.com.