Sr. Health Information Systems Expert – Tanzania, USAID Global Health Technical Assistance Mission Support
Are you passionate about driving programs focused on foreign assistance? Do you want to be part of an organization that offers meaningful assignments and opportunities to expand your skills and expertise? At Dexis, you will experience a corporate culture of inclusiveness, fairness, and trust. You will be given the means and mentorship needed to succeed, and your creativity will be rewarded.
About the Position
Dexis is seeking candidates for a Senior Health Information Systems assignment to provide technical assistance to USAID Tanzania in building data driven decision making in-service delivery, management and governance, particularly to strengthen health systems (a critical need for improved health outcomes).
This is a short-term consultancy based in Tanzania with an estimated 65 days of effort, beginning January 2020 for a three-month period of performance.
The Consultant will support USAID Tanzania’s Health Systems Strengthening and the Strategic Information Teams to provide strategic and technical expertise to the USAID/Tanzania Health Office and the interagency USG PEPFAR team. The consultant will provide advisory and deep technical acumen, including hands-on health information system/ information technology (HIS/IT) technical expertise, conduct results-oriented analysis, manage communications in close collaboration with a wide variety of stakeholders including GoT, USAID, and other USG agencies.
The assignment is under USAID’s Global Health Technical Assistance and Mission Support (GH-TAMS) project, a five-year activity supporting USAID’s Global Health Bureau and field missions with short-term technical assistance in HIV/AIDS, health systems strengthening, MCH, family planning, infectious disease M&E, strategic information and numerous other public health technical areas.
The technical assistance will include, but is not limited to:
- Provide technical leadership and support for the Information Systems portfolio with USAID in Tanzania.
- Assess the progress that’s been made on the specific data interoperability activities (Muungano, & Health eLink), data systems development and determine the next steps for USAID and GoT in this arena.
- Provide technical leadership to inform USAID investments and priorities in information systems as it relates to the wider health systems strengthening objectives and goals for USAID Tanzania.
- Provide information systems technical assistance and capacity building of key staff, as needed, for unique country systems requirements, systems analysis, design, specifications.
- Facilitate and support a more harmonized and coordinated approach to the information systems management and data use within the Tanzania portfolio.
- Develop strategies and approaches for improved GoT and PEPFAR data alignment
- Participate at critical GoT forums and discussions on the Information Systems arena in Tanzania, to understand critical national and global initiatives.
- Master’s degree or higher in public health, health informatics, computer science, management information systems, public or business administration or a related social science field.
- Minimum 13 years of relevant technical experience with master’s degree or a minimum of 15 years of relevant technical experience with bachelor’s degree.
- Experience with PEPFAR data reporting systems including DATIM, SIMS and expertise in building national level capacities for information systems – including national client registries, data harmonization etc.
- Extensive knowledge of health informatics, information technology and public health IT standards and applications, including EMRs, laboratory information systems (LIS), (DHIS), HIE, and others.
- Demonstrated experience managing the full software development lifecycle of mid-to large-sized projects (i.e. crossing multiple program areas and conflicting needs; Proven experience with managing the development or sourcing of health information systems that are currently in use.
- Active user and proponent of Open Source solutions Proven ability to oversee the design or modification of sophisticated computer applications to meet data collection and reporting requirements.