About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It’s about showing how you embody our valued behaviours – do the right thing, better together and never settle – as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
To support RB Head in driving end-to-end Strategic Transformation of Retail Banking Clients. This includes coordination with relevant stakeholders in country and outside across relevant functions (e.g., Country Heads of Products, Head of Segments, Marketing, CEPG etc.). The role focuses on driving efficiencies, tracking execution of specific initiatives and providing periodic updates to Country, Regional and Group Strategic Transformation teams in executing distribution reorientation plans and deliver all strategic priorities of the Country
Financials & Economics
- Guardian of country models and financial outcomes analysis
- Work on simulation scenarios at country level as we progress through the transformation journey
- Closely work with country finance to ensure P&L assumptions are in sync with expected volumes
- Continuous validation of actual outcomes vs original assumptions
- Owning the overall cost savings targets within the Country in alignment with the overall RC Strategic Transformation effort
Cost Agenda and Business Efficiency
- Drive, deliver business efficiency and cost agenda for retail business
- Setup PWG and PSC to track direct cost and BE reporting for the region
- Handle and report efficiency saves on monthly basis in wave / clarity systems as required be
- Drive cost saves through digitization agendas once rolled out i.e. through new onboarding system (Workbench), Online sales setup, Transaction migration program to move customers from branches to online Branch rationalisation to deliver business efficiency saves
- Work with Group, finance teams and associated functions to report business efficiency and handle business reviews on cost management
- Review branch cost recharge policy &process for the region. Work with group team to relook at branch recharge policy and take necessary actions
Strategy and Business Management
- Optimize retail branch network in the region. Handle ongoing review branch profitability to optimise retail network. Support roll out new initiatives like Agency Banking etc to expand network
- Ensure effective delivery of Branch Restructuring Plans, PAR commitments on time, cost, scope and benefits
- Work closely with all business partners and ensure cost target is met
- Drive all strategic agenda’s for retail banking
- Support HoRB in executing strategies and plans to improve business performance.
- Support all business functions in meeting their budget numbers.
- Track business performance on daily basis and design ways to improve business reporting.
- Work closely with SBIM to understand the business requirements and provide support whenever required.
- Support client experience team and attend forums for discussion to improve service standard.
- Attend SLA meeting whenever required to support improvements and iron out areas of concerns.
- Work with product team to review process flows and DOI’s.
- Arrange meetings that will improve business understandings.
- Understand all products and support product managers to execute their day to day activities.
- Support rollout of new products.
- Support analytics to all business heads and provide solutions.
- Track performance of all business segments and highlight any issue.
- Be contact person to Finance and other supporting function.
- Work closely with Regional and CEO’s office in all requests.
- Support Mwanza and Arusha performance
- Arrange for awards and recognitions for the team in various occasions.
- Work closely with business heads and support running the business.
- Engage in various platforms assigned to support teams.
- Arrange offsite meetings/townhalls.
- Spend time with retail banking team to understand needs.
- Work closely with HR, CLT, CMT, CCIB and support functions.
- Engage retail team on behalf of HoRB whenever required.
- Motivate the team to ensure best results are obtained.
- Attend all clients/cases escalated to HoRB
- Support Branches and call centre.
- Take part in forums to discuss TAT improvement. i.e. PIL
- Highlight pinpoints to Head of CE & GEPG whenever issues come to the attention.
- Attend client events and support RMs.
- Work closely with Governance and Risk team to insure safe environment of business.
- Attend all risk and governance meeting to understand the progress and share experiences.
- Review contracts and other documents before HoRB.
- Highlight any risk elements in the business.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Support team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- GM Segments
- Branch, Priority and EB
- Product & Segment
- Client Experience
- Marketing Agencies
- Support the Unit Manager and Head, RB Operations in implementing SCB policies regarding AML/ CDD policies and adopting any imminent changes
Our Ideal Candidate
- University degree or professional qualification, preferably in Banking and Finance
- Proven track record of accomplishment in the management of banking operations
- In depth knowledge and understanding of banking products and services, and ability to structure and deliver customized solutions which meet customer needs.
- Ability to engage stakeholders in constructive dialogue, in order to improve own understanding and influence others decision-making.
- Strong people management & communication skills, especially ability to engage and motivate large teams
- Ability to analyse significant amounts of data and distil clear insights
- Relevant applications & technology infrastructure knowledge
- Understanding of the regulatory environment and practices
- Project Management and Change Management skills
- Committed to driving own team’s progress and delivering agreed outcomes.
- Nurtures teamwork and collaboration.
- Has the ability to blend the demands of managing day-to-day operational activities with the necessity of maintaining a strategic view.
- Be able to demonstrate an ability to manage complex activities within the Bank’s matrix organization structure.
- Experience in budget development and budget management.
- Foresight with regards to workflow, staff capability and moral.
- Thought leadership in Retail Banking with appreciation industry products and developments
- Strategy articulation and execution
- Professional depth in Retail Products covering product development, acquisition, portfolio and risk management, marketing and campaign management
- Deep understanding of in-market client product behaviours and life stages
- Strong strategic acumen and execution capability
- Relationship building and influencing – ability to build strong relationships across internal and external stakeholders / partners
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages. We welcome conversations on flexible working.