About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
By 2023, the Tanzania program plans to offer 5 species of trees to more than 175,000 smallholder farmers. This will include timber, fruit, and soil-improving species. In total, this agroforestry portfolio is projected to create $8,400,000 of farmer financial impact by 2023. The Agroforestry Associate will drive the success of this plan.
Specific Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
- Farmer demand: Rigorously assess farmer demand and impact potential for various agroforestry species
- Multi-department risk assessment and mitigation: Assess and mitigate risks in trial complexity through close collaboration with Field Operations, Logistics, Business Operations, and Inputs teams
- Financial impact projections: Develop tree impact models, collaborating with M&E to execute annual agroforestry impact assessments in the field
- Maximize farmer returns through training: Develop and oversee execution of training content for 5+ tree species
- Tree Production and Logistics: Trial various production/sourcing and distribution methods for tree seedlings, such as production partnerships or setting up farmer site-based nurseries
- Innovation in Market Access: Opportunistically explore market access opportunities for Hass avocado and other marketable tree products
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking 1 exceptional professional(s) with 3+ years of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Formal education or work experience in forestry
- Strong educational background; Masters degree preferred
- Demonstrated leadership experience at work, or outside of work, enthusiasm for learning, and openness to feedback.
- Ability to build teams and collaborate with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Language: English, Swahili preferred
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Iringa or Mbeya, Tanzania
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Sponsor International Candidates
No; Must have existing rights to work in Tanzania.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.