Title: Team Leader, AgResults Dairy Productivity Challenge Project
Reports to: Country Manager, Tanzania Location: Tanzania, Dar es Salaam(TBD)
Travel: Up to 40%
Note: This position is contingent upon funding
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
The 5-year Dairy Productivity Challenge Project is a new project under the AgResults Initiative, which is financed by the governments of Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which uses Pay-for-Results prize competitions to incentivize, or “pull”, the private sector to overcome agricultural market barriers by investing in innovative research and delivery solutions that improve the lives of smallholder farmers. The Dairy Productivity Challenge Project consists of a Pay-for-Results prize competition designed to spur improvements in smallholder dairy productivity in Tanzania. The prize incentive offered by AgResults wil target the private sector to drive improved dairy input availability and use, resulting in increased smallholder dairy productivity and incomes. TechnoServe’s role on the Project wil be to provide project management services, coordinating with the Steering Committee, Financial Trustee, Secretariat, and dairy value chain companies and organizations (referred to as Competitors).
The Team Leader will be responsible for management of day-to-day Project activities and the quality delivery of all the Project Manager team’s work. The Team Leader will ensure that all tasks and activities are performed in a timely, professional manner, subject to appropriate review and approvals by the Secretariat, and that deliverables and other work products related to the Project will be clear, well thought out, complete and thoroughly checked for quality control. The Team Leader will be assisted in tasks by a Technical Officer.
Please note this position is contingent upon donor funding
Roles and Responsibilities
As Team Leader you will:
- Assess and validate the Project design, to ensure alignment to the stated goals and objectives of the AgResults program, process for project registration/ approval in Tanzania.
- Develop Annual Work Plans to be submitted to the Secretariat for review and approval consideration.
- Monitor and ensure that the Project Annual Work Plan is implemented.
- Prepare and submit Quarterly Performance Reports to track, identify and inform the Secretariat of all completed, in-flight and forecasted Project activities, and to propose Work Plan adjustments if needed.
- Identify and proactively report to the Secretariat on potential opportunities or problems that could impact Project implementation or the reputation risk of the Project, AgResults, the Secretariat or any other AgResults entity. The Team Leader should employ critical thinking to troubleshoot solutions, and recommend appropriate solutions, responses and next steps to the Secretariat before acting.
- Monitor and supervise the Project implementation, including, without limitation, for misuse of funds and fraud, implement misuse and fraud avoidance management processes.
- Manage annual lessons-learned exercises and submit the summary of these exercises to the Secretariat on a yearly basis.
- Ensure quality verbal and written reporting on Project operations as required.
- Maintain neutrality in all aspects of the facilitation of the Project, including impartiality toward the Competitors, and eschew influence by any pre-existing personal or professional relationships that would create an actual or perceived bias or unfair advantage for a Competitor or other stakeholder.
- Coordinate and provide reasonable support as needed to the Independent Evaluator to harmonize work plans and facilitate the Independent Evaluator’s work in assessing specific parameters and outcomes of the Project.
- Ensure that Project deliverables are met on a timely basis and keep the Secretariat informed of all delays or changes to the timeline.
- Coordinate the formation of the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) and their input on technical matters throughout the course of the Project. Ensure that the members of the TAC are eligible to serve on and contribute to the Committee, do not face conflicts of interest, and otherwise comply with the requirements of this Agreement.
- Manage and oversee the competitor sourcing and sign-up process with the competitors. Support potential competitors in joining the AgResults contest by providing information on the prize structure and contest requirements.
- Develop a transparent dispute resolution mechanism for the Competitors and other Project participants and coordinate dispute resolution for approval by AgResults.
- Ensure effective stakeholder engagement, including government engagement, public outreach, and communications. Communicate as needed with competitors and the TAC on matters of Project operations, and report regularly to the Secretariat.
- Maintain neutrality in all aspects of the facilitation of the Project.
- Collaborate with the Secretariat in the development and/or finalization of the verification process, as wel as help with drafting the terms of reference for the Verifier and identifying Verifier candidates.
- Along with Secretariat, prepare a verification oversight plan, oversee, and perform spot checks of the sales audit tasks that the Verifier will perform.
- Liaise closely with the Project Verifier(s) to ensure consistency in work plan development, reporting, and to advise on verification processes with necessary.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of seven to ten years of experience managing international donor-funded projects and/or private sector-led initiatives, with Tanzania experience required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, animal science, dairy husbandry, economics, business, international development, or a related field. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience facilitating programs or projects that include public and private sector involvement.
- Proven ability to work independently: effectively manage time, competing priorities, and complex tasks; and identify opportunities and challenges and propose appropriate responses or solutions.
- Proven excellent project management and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience with positive stakeholder engagement, including the agribusiness private sector, international donors, and government officials.
- Experience overseeing monitoring and verification systems.
- Proficiency in MS Project, MS Outlook, MS Word and other Microsoft Office programs.
- Success Factors:
For any successful Team Leader should possess the following;
Integrity and honesty, Team Work/ Relationships, Learning attitude, Communication, Decision making/Problem Solving, Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables, Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish, Financial & Resource Management, Donor/Partnership Management, Analysis, Research, Report Writing, Innovative Mindset, Emotional Intelligence, Strategic Thinking, Staff Development, Trust to Delegate, Feedback/Coaching (mentoring)
The positions that may be a next career opportunity for employees in this job title includes Country Manager/Programs Director or Director.
VII. Application Instructions:
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a non-returnable single Word-formatted document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history to [email protected] with the subject “Team Leader.” The final deadline for application is May 20,2019.
TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes. Women are encouraged to apply. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered or contacted.