CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Advancing Women’s Leadership and Political Empowerment
The Department of Political Science and Public Administration (PSPA) of the University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) will be implementing a one year project, in collaboration with UN Women. The project comprises three interrelated components;
- 1) identifying and training women aspirants;
- 2) analyzing the women’s wings of political parties to produce actionable recommendations for strengthening their effectiveness and
- 3) training and raising awareness of key actors on violence against women in politics (VAWP).
The proposed project is expected to contribute to the establishment of a cadre of interested, diverse and capable women political leaders to take up leadership roles in gender sensitive political institutions. The project will contribute to two outputs of the broader Women’s Leadership and Political Participation Project, (WLPP) Wanawake Wanaweza Phase II. Output 2.1 ‘Increased technical capacity of women to engage in leadership contests’ and Output 1.3 ‘Violence against women in elections is mitigated’. Women’s leadership and political participation is one of UN Women’s primary areas of work as mandated in its inception, recognizing the integral role of women in strong and stable democratic processes.
Quality trainers are key to the conduct of any successful training programme. Therefore, PSPA is looking for qualified and experienced professionals in women political leadership to conduct training of women political aspirants in different zones of Tanzania, namely Southern Zone, Coastal Zone, Northern Highlands Zone Lake Zone, Western Zone, Central Zone, Southern Highlands Zone and Zanzibar.
DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES:
- To train women aspirants on different aspects of political empowerment as covered in the five Modules of the training
- Training and raising awareness of women aspirants on Violence Against Women in Politics (VAWP)
- Respect for Diversity
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Gender Studies, Education-related fields, Political Science, Sociology, Law, International Relations, or relevant field and/or equivalent practical experience;
- At least 5 years’ professional experience as a trainer on gender equality, elections and/or political participation;
- Familiarity and experience in conducting training on women in political leadership training;
- Substantive knowledge of and experience in women’s political participation and women’s leadership generally;
- Must possess good facilitation and pedagogical skills, and the ability to adapt to participants’ skills and needs; as well as facilitate a reflective learning and change process;
- Extensive experience in training, communication, presentation, negotiation and leadership skills;
- Sound expertise in gender equality and women’s empowerment, including on women’s political participation;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with people from varied cultures and professional background;
- Demonstrated political impartiality and objectivity;
- Broad knowledge of training techniques and tools;
- Demonstrated leadership and personal examples of promoting knowledge management and a professional learning environment;
- Ability to produce well-written reports, demonstrating excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- Training certification or accreditation from relevant international and regional training programmes, country accredited trainings, and UN Women commissioned training programmes are considered added
- Fluency in oral and written English and Swahili is required;
Application Submission & Selection Process:
· Up to date CV
- Three (3) Professional References such as supervisors, co-trainers or former trainees.
Applicants who meet the required criteria and experience will be considered. Applicants will be evaluated based on their technical qualifications as specified by the required experience, their CVs, and recommendation letters. Women, young women and women with disability are highly encouraged to apply. Selected candidates shall be required to participate in the ToT, which is scheduled on November 20-23, 2019.
The deadline for submission of applications is 15th November, 2019. No late submission will be considered.
Download pdf Attachment: 20191113_082904_UDSM_CALL FOR APPLICATIONS_Trainers.pdf