Global Resource Alliance–Tanzania
JobTitle: Tree ProgramTrainer
Supervisor: Tree Planting Project Coordinator
Global Resource Alliance-Tanzania (GRA)
Global Resource Alliance, Inc.(GRA) is a non-profit organization headquartered in Ojai, California. It was founded in April 2002 to provide financial and technical support to community organizations in the world’s least developed regions working for social, economic and environmental change. GRA’s local organization has partnered with Belgian NGO, WeForest, since 2011 to plant trees with institutions, such as schools and churches, and individuals and farmer groups, who have collectively planted over 1 million trees through their Tree Program throughout the Mara Region in Tanzania. These seedlings are grown in two nurseries, one in Utegi (Rorya) and one in Butiama. Majority of tree seedlings have been distributed to individual farmers who come to the nurseries to pick the tree seedlings at subsidized price as per species of their choice. Some of the seedlings have been distributed to institutions (schools, churches and other government institutions) for free. Beneficiaries are given basic training on transplanting and managing tree seedlings, and establishing their own tree nursery. The seedlings and trees are monitored over time to verify tree mortality rates and offer technical support to beneficiaries on how to best manage and benefit from their trees.
A Tree Program Trainer is needed to carry out training to the beneficiaries of the Tree Planting Program. Individuals applying to the position must meet the selection criteria below, and be able to function with minimal technical supervision; they will be directly supervised by the Tree Planting Project Coordinator.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Train groups, students at the schools and individual farmers in Butiama, Rorya,Tarime, Bunda and Musoma districts on tree planting and best silviculture practices.
- Train individual farmers and groups on best agroforestry practices
- Distribute tree seedlings to customers including schools, churches, government offices, individual farmers and groups and keep proper records of all distributed tree seedlings
- Organize campaign to educate community on the importance of tree planting and agro forestry
- Conduct regular monitoring of planted trees and advice responsible persons accordingly
- Participate in tree survival assessment exercises on regular basis
- Supervise and coach nursery attendants on daily basis and ensure all nursery interventions are properly done
- Manage tree planting database at you working station by fill in all required information regarding tree planting
- Write project analytical report on weekly, monthly, quarterly basis
- Document project success stories to describe project impact in your area of work
- Perform any other duties assigned by your supervisor
- Commitment to GRA and We Forest’s mission and vision
- Excellent personnel management skills
- Focused, disciplined, and determined
- Innovative and collaborative, patient and flexible, particularly in cross-cultural environments
- Good interpersonal skills
- Diploma in forestry, agriculture, horticulture, environmental science, or natural resource Management related field
- Work experience: Minimum three years’ in a supervisory role working in rural development for an NGO in Tanzania; experience with small holder farmers is desirable
- Skills: Excellent in organizing and multi tasking, coordinating, training, reporting, communication and computer software; experience with GIS is desirable
- Language: Fluent in English and Kiswahili(speaking and writing)
- Nationality: Tanzanian
Terms & Conditions
Start date: As soon as possible
Duration: One year, with potential of extend subject to performance and funding (6-month probationary period)
Salary: Small NGO competitive package
Location: Butiama, Mara Region
Working hours: Full time
How To Apply
Due to the anticipated number of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.