University Of Rwanda Minimum Entry Requirements
1. Undergraduate Programmes
Advanced General Certificate of Secondary Education/Technical and Vocational Education Training Certificate/Primary Teacher Education Certificate
Applicants to undergraduate degree programmes must be in possession of an Advanced General Certificate of Secondary Education, with at least two principal passes in the relevant subject combinations;or a Technical and Vocational Education Training (TVET) Certificate, with at least three principal passes in the relevant subjects;or a Primary Teacher Education Certificate with at least a Credit in the relevant subject combinations.
Candidates with alternative qualifications will be considered for admission into degree and diploma programmes, on the basis of equivalences determined by the Colleges. Foreign qualifications must be evaluated by the Rwanda Education Board (REB) prior to registration.
2. Postgraduate Programmes
- To qualify for admission into a Master’s Programme by Coursework and Dissertation, applicants must:
Have obtained a Bachelor’s Degree with Honours, Second-Class Upper Division (Level 5 in the Rwandan qualifications Framework) or a qualification deemed equivalent
- Demonstrate sufficient ability in the language of instruction and excellent language proficiency in the case where the language is the discipline of choice for the degree.
- To qualify for admission to a doctoral degree at the University of Rwanda, applicants must have attained:
A Master’s Degree (Level 6 in the Rwandan qualifications Framework) in an area relevant to the proposed programme of research.
- Demonstrate sufficient ability in English to undertake doctoral-level work.
- Entry requirements to postgraduate Diploma and Certificates programmes are similar to those for Masters programmes.
- Alternative entry requirements into postgraduate programmes maybe considered taking into account recognition of prior learning experience.
SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS AND LEVELS OF PERFORMANCE
Subject requirements and minimum level of performance, in terms of points in the subject combinations relevant to the programmes, are set by the different Colleges. The points are determined based on calculations of weighted points for the award of an Advanced General Certificate of Secondary Education, shown in the table below.
Subject Grade letter Weighted points
Entrepreneurship/Finance/History/Geography/English/Literature in English/French/Kinyarwanda/Kiswahili/Computer Science/
Secretarial Studies/Creative performance and Physical Education
General Paper S 1*1=1
GENERAL MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS INTO SPECIFIC COLLEGE PROGRAMMES
1. Applicants for programmes in the following Colleges:
- College of Arts and Social Sciences (CASS),
- College of Business and Economics (CBE) and
- College of Education (CE),
must have two (2) Principal passes with at least eighteen (18) points in specified courses relevant to the programmes applied for.
2. Applicants for programmes offered in the following Colleges:
- Colleges of Agriculture, Animal Sciences and Veterinary Medicine (CAVM),
- College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) and
- College of Science and Technology (CST),
must have two (2) Principal passes with at least twenty four (24) points in specified courses relevant to the programmes applied for. In the case of CST, there is an additional requirement of a C grade average in the relevant subjects as required by the Department.
3. In addition, all applicants must have:
A pass in General Paper. Applicants without a pass, but meeting the minimum criteria in terms of Principal subjects passes will be admitted and required to pass a special common course offered by UR, prior to graduation.
An English language proficiency test certificate. Applicants without proof of English proficiency will be required to register for and pass an English language module offered by the University Language Centre. The pass mark for English proficiency test is 70%
Downloads: College Specific Program Entry Requirements
- Specific Program Entry Requirements for College of Arts and Social Sciences (CASS)
- Specific Program Entry Requirements for College Agriculture, Animal Sciences and Veternary Medicine (CAVM)
- Specific Program Entry Requirements for the College of Business and Economics (CBE)
- Specific Program Entry Reuirements for the College of Education (CE)
- Specific Program Entry Requirements for the College of Medicine and Health Sciences(CMHS)
- Specific Program Entry Requirements for the College of Science and Technology (CST)