Vector Control and Malaria Surveillance Officer Jobs at WHO
The Mission of WHO is the attainment by all people of the highest possible level of health
Position title : Vector Control and Malaria Surveillance Officer
Grade level : NOB as per United Nations salary scale.
Type of contract : SSA
Duration of contract : Three months
Duty station : Dar-es-Salaam
Closing date : 4th February 2019
Under the direct supervision of the WHO Malaria, Surveillance and Monitoring and Evaluation Focal Person, and overall supervision of the World Health Organization Representative (WR), the incumbent will perform the function of Vector Control and Malaria Surveillance Officer. The incumbent will work closely and interact with the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MOHC- DGEC) through the National Malaria Control Programme (NMCP) to ensure that the required targets are met.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical support to the National Malaria Control Programme in the operationalization of the vector control and surveillance, monitoring and evaluation interventions as stipulated in the Supplementary
Malaria Strategic Plan (SMSP)-2018-2020 as follows:
- Facilitate the introduction of a new class of Long Lasting Insecticidal Treated Nets (LLINs) that includes a synergist termed – piperonyl butoxide (PBO) in appropriate strata in the country in collaboration with the NMCP and partners
- In collaboration with the NMCP and partners, coordinate the conduct of a sub-national survey to assess the performance of the PBO nets
- Support the NMCP to conduct periodic entomological surveillance in order to inform the appropriate vector control interventions at sub-national level
- Facilitate the mapping of insecticide resistance in sentinel sites with health research institutions under the coordination of the NMCP
- Support the NMCP to develop corresponding tools and structures for Case Based Surveillance (CBS) including case characterization, classification and response and foci identification, characterization and response
- Facilitate the Trainer of Trainers (ToTs) in CBS at the national level
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
- Technical reports of the introduction of LLIN nets containing PBO from appropriate strata available
- Technical report on the performance of the PBO nets available
- Report of the vector species mapped to inform the appropriate vector control interventions at sub-national level available
- Mapping of the resistant pattern of vector species available
- Tools and structures for conducting CBS available
- Reports from orientation conducted for TOTs on CBS available
- Educational background and experience:-
- Essential: University Degree in Health Sciences from a recognized University
- Desirable: Post graduate degree in Medical Entomology or Tropical Medicine preferably in Malaria Control.
- At least 5 year of experience in the management of communicable diseases, statistics, epidemiology and health related research activities. Experience in communicable disease surveillance, monitoring and evaluation at national and/or international level.
- Experience in Geo-mapping and Microsoft application (e.g. Excel, Word, Power Point, etc)
Other Skills (e.g. IT): Excellent knowledge of Statistical packages
Oral and written proficiency in English is required.
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences Functional Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to work under pressure to make decision, to elaborate strategies and organize priorities
- Ability to coordinate activities and undertake multitasks
- Strong analytical skills and good judgment.
- Sense of prioritization and attention to detail.
- Ability to liaise with people at all levels and to proactively search for information.
- Self-motivated, flexible and able to innovate.
- Professional commitment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to negotiate with and convince officials with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner, and to present information.
- Ability to work in stressful context and under tight deadline
- Ability to work in an international and multi-cultural environment
- The interested candidates should address an application comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of certificates/diplomas/degrees and testimonials to:
The WHO Representative
1 Albert Luthuli Street, Ocean Road
P O Box 9292
Dar es Salaam
N.B. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WHO HAS A SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT!!!!