Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We work together, with partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. Save the Children works in thirty districts in Rwanda with a current staff complement of approximately 180 staff.
SC Rwanda Country Office seeks to hire qualified, committed and experienced national staffto fill the following position:
Position: VFS Project officer
Place of work: Ruhango district
Reports to: VFS Project Coordinator, Rwanda
Staff directly reporting to this post: N/A
Staff directly interacting with this post: Project Coordinator, MEAL Specialist, Programme Manager, Support Services
Time Frame: Open
Tentative start date: March 1st 2018.
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
ROLE PURPOSE: The Project officer is accountable for implementing VFS project activities in specific sectors of Ruhango district.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Project implementation
- Organise and facilitate trainings of teachers and other school personnel on Positive discipline
- Accompanying the trained teachers and school personnel in the process of implementing positive disciple in schools and homes;
- Organise community and school based campaigns aiming at raising awareness on Positive Discipline;
- Facilitate the empowerment of children and SGAC members to prevent and manage VAC and SGBV in target schools;
- Supervise and mentor trained teachers and SGAC members to develop activity plans and monitor the implementation;
- Facilitate the establishing of gender responsive CP systems and reporting channels in target schools.
- Collaborate with local authorities to ensure the smooth implementation of the project;
- Ensure timely progress reports comprising best practices, lessons learned, case studies are produced and submitted to project coordinator;
2. Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning / Research
- With the support of the MEAL specialist, monitor, document and report the level of implementation, lessons learned, etc.
- On a regular basis, collect data on project activities using monitoring tools developed in collaboration with the MEAL specialist;
- Ensure that quality monthly, quarterly and annual reports are developed and submitted on time and in accordance with agreed schedules and templates.
- Save the Children representation
- Ensure effective participation and representation of SC in coordination mechanisms with CP stakeholders in Ruhango district;
- Develop close working relationships with other SC staff present at the district including primary stakeholders;
Establish and maintain good working relations with SC partners.
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree level in Social Sciences, education, psychology and any other related field;
- Demonstrable skills and experience in project implementation, preferable having worked with NGOs;
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- Skills in community mobilization;
- Skills in training facilitation;
- Training in areas of Child Protection and/or Child Rights Governance will be considered as an asset
CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCIs Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
- This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
Interested candidates should send an application letter plus updated Curriculum Vitae in English, including 3 names of professional referees to HR-Rwanda@savethechildren.org. The deadline for receiving applications is February 1st 2018.
*Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.