This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants. Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS). WASH Associate
The incumbent normally receives guidance from the WASH Officer in the operation. S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country programme(s). S/he may liaise with local officials and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on routine subject matters under the direction of the supervisor.
The incumbent is expected to have contacts within the organization and outside the duty station, as well as with partners and other stakeholders to collect information, monitor WASH activities and implement administrative requirements.
– UNHCR office has sufficient support in the field of WASH.
– Viable standard WASH information system is in place for data collection and analysis.
– In close coordination with the WASH Officer consolidate and provide support to partners on all WASH-related issues to ensure quality, cost effectiveness, sustainability and environmental soundness in their implementation.
– Support the WASH Officer in acting as focal person on water, sanitation and hygiene promotion issues within UNHCR and liaise with UN related agencies and governmental and nongovernmental counterparts.
– Review on a regular basis the quantity and quality of water and sanitation services offered in the refugee camps and surrounding host communities.
– Review performance, undertake field verifications, monitor development and assist in evaluation of activities and approaches adopted by partners in WASH and related sectors.
– Assist in formulation of appropriate designs and corrective measures with a particular focus on hygiene promotion and public health risk prevention in consultation with the WASH Office.
– Promote community involvement and participation in all the different stages of the WASH project cycle.
– Liaise with other units, particularly Public Health, Shelter, Protection and Field to locate, plan, implement and monitor WASH activities.
– Support the WASH officer towards ensuring that regular and accurate reports that analyze the challenges encountered in providing WASH services for beneficiaries are prepared and circulated.
– Support the WASH officer in the preparation of all reports for management, donors, budget reviews, camp Water Monitoring System (WMS)/report cards, budget reviews, programme analysis, monthly, annual reports etc. in a timely manner.
– Support the WASH Officer in coordinating the WASH Sector – refugee operations in Upper Nile State.
– Participate in WASH Sector and coordination meetings as well as in Technical monitoring of activities
– Record feedback from UNHCR camp management, field officers and community services officers on issues with water availability, access and quality, and sanitation situation.
– Contribute to contingency planning design and long-term planning from the assessment to the implementation phase including consideration of all factors relating to the sustainability of WASH services in the camps.
– Assist with any other duties required by the UNHCR WASH Officer, Programme Officer or Field Officer related to WASH.
– Monitor WASH on behalf of UNHCR and make recommendations to the WASH Officer and the UNHCR management team.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.
– Completion of Secondary education with post-secondary course/diploma in Civil Engineering/water and sanitation engineering/water resources development or a related field.
– Minimum 6 years of relevant work experience including at least 2 years in water, wastewater, solid waste, vector control and/or public health and/or construction works.
– Computer skills (MS office and AutoCAD).
– Fluency in English and local language.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
– Knowledge and understanding of UNHCR/UN administrative and financial rules and regulations.
– Good knowledge and understanding of WASH standards for emergencies and refugee camps.
– Knowledge and understanding of water and wastewater hydraulics and physical, chemical and biological properties; solid waste management practices, vector control, sanitation and hygiene promotion/awareness raising strategies.
– Knowledge and understanding of relationship between water, wastewater, solid waste, human waste, vector-control to public health indicators, and value of hygiene promotion/awareness raising.
– Knowledge and understanding of risk based monitoring and evaluation, multi-criteria analysis and project management and control. Competencies as defined in Job Profile Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Qualified female and candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
In case of difficulties with application process please contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org Closing date for submissions of applications is 09 November 2020, Mid-night, Tanzania Time.
Deadline for applications is 8 November, 2020.