The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
To apply for this position please go to NRC website at www.nrc.no and follow the “VACANCIES” link.
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
• Help plan and carry out needs assessments, baseline surveys and other periodic studies.
• Conduct Knowledge, Attitude and Practice (KAP) surveys and analyze data
• Help plan activities to reduce WASH-related risks.
• Collate data from the incentive workers and prepare regular reports on activities and WASH conditions for monitoring.
• Coordinate with the other Officers to ensure that the various aspects of the WASH response are integrated.
• Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working in the camp in order to coordinate within the WASH sector and between sectors such as health and shelter.
• To represent NRC in co-ordination meetings with the other IPs, section and block leaders and other stakeholders.
• Prepare project reports in a timely manner, guidelines and other strategic documentation.
• Oversee installation and rehabilitation of water facilities ensuring quality and as per specified technical drawings.
• Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
• Participate in the requests for project materials; undertake technical verification of project materials upon delivery, and organize for branding where necessary and also call for distribution to the beneficiaries.
• Development of rapid response and contingency plans.
• Assess and advise on capacity building needs within the team to ensure effective developments of the quality standards for the water activities.
• Carry out informal and formal training sessions (according to identified needs) and evaluate the impacts of this training.
• Identify the operational requirement of the mobile data water flow monitoring.
• Use of GPS/Mobile phone for data collection and mapping of WASH facilities in the camp.
• Supervise and conduct daily monitoring of mobile water flow data
• To assist and participate in community mobilization.
• Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH programme.
• Help in design of the water reticulation system for equitable water supply within the camp.
• Provide timely feedback on activity progress and advice on any challenges.
• Recruit, train, and manage WASH Assistants including performance appraisal.
• Organize day-to-day logistics, administration, and personnel activities together with the Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Project Officer in the assigned camp.
• Work closely with site planning team to ensure water pipeline extension to areas not served.
• Overall supervision of the Water team including Technical Assistants, and incentives in charge of project materials storage and distribution to ensure enough stock.
• Advice the project coordinator on available stock and plan for restocking upon depletion of the stock.
• Supervise water activities in line with relevant standards, codes o
• Experience in undertaking water supply in a relief programme is essential.
• Proven ability to use MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) is essential. Experience with other computer programs such as SAP 2000 and Microsoft Project would be an advantage.
• Experience in implementation of technical works in Public health engineering.
• Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated programme.
• Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information
• Have ability to manage a huge amount of data perfectly
• Mobile data collection and use of GPS
• QGIS/ARCHGIS and google Earth knowledge
• Strong skills in data analysis using excel
• Knowledge on collection of information from satellite imagery open source and google
- Engineering sciences & technology
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
• Possession of strong administrative and management skills with a willingness to follow relevant policies and procedures
• Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups
• Political and cultural awareness, and experience of working where insecurity is a major issue
• Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
• Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
• Understanding of international health and development, and relief issues.
• Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations (minority groups etc)
• Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming
• Planning and delivering results
• Empowering and building trust
• Communicating with impact and respect
• Handling insecure environment
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected