Rwanda Student Loans
High Education Student Loans Department (HESLD) has the responsibility of expansion and modernization of the Rwandan Higher Education system and at the same time maintaining at long time a financially sustainable Higher Education system, the Government introduced a Student Loan Scheme for Higher Education which among other things requires the participation of individual students or parents in meeting part of the cost of their education.
BRD Student loans & bursaries scheme- Rwanda
In October 2015, the Government of Rwanda gave the mandate of management of students’ loans and bursaries to BRD in compliance with the provisions of Law No 44/2015 of 14/09/2015 governing student loans and bursaries in Rwanda. This role was previously undertaken by the Ministry of Education (MINEDUC).
The cardinal principle of BRD taking over the management function of the student loans and bursaries is to bring in efficiency in the management of disbursement and recoveries with a focus to attaining long term financial self-sustainability. The Government will provide the funding until the loan scheme can sustain itself in the long run; expected to be in ten years’ time.
The agreement between the Ministry of Education and BRD set key functions as follows;
- Efficient management of disbursements and recoveries
- Establishment of education savings scheme
- Education investment
Visit this Link for accessing the MIS System https://edu.brd.rw
A summary of BRD/MINEDUC Agreement:
- The Ministry of Education (MINEDUC) and the Development Bank of Rwanda (BRD) signed an agreement concerning the management of student loans and recovery on 15th October 2016.
- According to the terms of agreement, BRD officially takes over the responsibility of disbursing and recovering student loans and bursaries; and MINEDUC will continue to select loan beneficiaries.
- The 10-year agreement entails that both parties will comply with Laws and regulations governing loans and bursaries granted to students and new mechanism of tertiary education financing as approved by Cabinet in its session of 14/04/2015.
- Both parties will also ensure transparency, objectivity, and efficiency in handling student loan and bursary matters and carry out an effective public awareness campaign. New mechanisms will also be put in place, leading to self-sustainability of the scheme within a period of ten years.
- BRD will provide loans to students on time as opposed to the delays that have been occurring under the Rwanda Education Board (REB). The Bank will transfer student loans and bursaries directly to the beneficiaries’ accounts hence easing quick access.
- It is envisaged that the agreement would also significantly strengthen the process on loan recoveries in the next ten years.
- MINEDUC will provide policies guiding the tertiary education financing scheme, establish the list of student loan and/or bursary beneficiaries, amount payable for tuition fees depending on invoices from higher learning institutions, provide to BRD all files and data on loan and bursary beneficiaries existing in the Rwanda Education Board, among other tasks to make the new scheme run smoothly.
- BRD started the management of disbursements on 1st January 2016
- BRD started the recovery function on 15th January 2016.
- BRD effectively started the disbursements of student loans through the student’s bank accounts indicated on their signed contracts.
- All students from first year up to those in their final year who are eligible for the Government of Rwanda loan schemes signed student loan contracts.
- All students from first year up to those in their final year who are eligible for the Government of Rwanda loan schemes duly filled student’s referee undertaking forms with the Bank.
- A student referee is either a parent, a guardian, close relative, or an institution that accepts the responsibility to provide information about the student loan receipt whenever so required by BRD for ease of student loan recovery.
- Where a student has less than 21 years of age, their Student Referee shall sign on their behalf to consent to the contents of the student loan contract. However, the responsibility to pay back the loan rests with the student.
For any clarifications on BRD student loans, please contact BRD through firstname.lastname@example.org
BRD & Minedu Useful Links
- BRD Student loans & bursaries scheme- Rwanda
- Criteria to benefit a BRD Student Loan-Rwanda
- Step by step Guidance To Apply BRD Student Loan-Rwanda
- Guidance on how to complete student information in brd efmis
- List of students who were not granted BRD Student Loan-Rwanda
- List of students who were granted BRD Student Loan-Rwanda
- Education finance management information system-efmis brd Login
- Mount Kenya University (MKU) Kigali Campus offered and approved Academic Programs
- Mahatma Gandhi University (MGU) Rwanda offered and approved Academic Programs
- Kigali Institute of Management (KIM) offered and approved Academic Programs
- Kigali Independent University ULK offered and approved Academic Programs
- Kibogora Polytechnics (KP) offered and approved Academic Programs
- Kabgayi School of Nursing and Midwifery (KaSNM) offered and approved Academic Programs
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) Kigali Campus offered and approved Academic Programs
- Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Education of Kibungo (INATEK) offered and approved Academic Programs
- Institut Polytechnique de Byumba (IPB) offered and approved Academic Programs
- Institut D’enseignement Superieur de Ruhengeri (INES) offered and approved Academic Programs
- Institut Catholique de Kabgayi (ICK) offered and approved Academic Programs
- Independent Institute of Lay Adventists of Kigali (INILAK) offered and approved Academic Programs
- Admission Lists For Universities in Rwanda
- Rwanda Education Board-REB Results 2018-2019
- Rwanda polytechnic application | Rwanda polytechnic admission 2019/20
- Rwanda Polytechnic Application Guideline 2018/19
- Indangaburezi College of Education (ICE) offered and approved Academic Programs
- East African University of Rwanda (EAUR) offered and approved Academic Programs
- College of Surgeons of East, Central and Southern Africa (COSECSA) offered and approved Academic Programs
- Christian University of Rwanda (CHUR) offered and approved Academic Programs
- Rwanda Polytechnic Fees Structure 2018
- Catholic University of Rwanda (CUR) offered and approved Academic Programs
- Carnegie Mellon Rwanda (CMUR) offered and approved Academic Programs
- Adventist University of Central Africa offered and approved Academic Programs
brd student loan 2019, www brd rw student loan 2019 2020, brd student loan recovery, brd announcement 2019, www.brd.rw announcement, www.brd.rw(student loan)2019, brd website, education loan in rwanda