Manager, Global Literacy Research Monitoring & Evaluation
CVPeople Tanzania | Full time
Manager, Global Literacy Research Monitoring & Evaluation
Location: Kenya / UK/ South Africa / Tanzania
Room to Read is a global organization transforming the lives of millions of children in low-income communities by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Founded in 2000 on the belief that World Change Starts with Educated Children®, our innovative model focuses on deep, systemic transformation within schools during two time periods that are most critical in a child’s schooling: early primary school for literacy acquisition and secondary school for girls’ education. We work in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations, and governments to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children and ensure girls can complete secondary school with the skills necessary to negotiate key life decisions. By focusing on the quality of education provided within the communities and ensuring these outcomes are measured, we have created a model that can be replicated, localized and sustained by governments. Room to Read has benefited 32 million children in over 49,000 communities across 21 countries. Learn more at www.roomtoread.org.
Room to Read is a child-safe organization; all personnel are expected to adhere to Room to Read’s Child Protection Policy and Child Protection Code of Conduct.
The Manager, Global Literacy Research Monitoring & Evaluation position is part of the Global Office Research Monitoring & Evaluation (GO RM&E) team and will serve as a key member of Room to Read’s GO RM&E team with a specific focus on the Literacy Program (LP) RM&E portfolio.
This is a remote-work position and can be based in Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, or the United Kingdom. This position is open to all nationalities, but candidates must have a valid work permit to operate from any one of the possible locations mentioned above. This position will require frequent travel to countries/ project sites where Room to Read operates. The position will report directly to Associate Director, Global Literacy Research, Monitoring & Evaluation based in New Delhi, India.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. In collaboration with the global, country and project-specific RM&E and program team members, conceptualize, and design Monitoring and Evaluation strategies related to the Literacy Program (LP).
2. Work with global, country and project-specific RM&E and program staff to identify Research needs, develop Research proposals, and implement Research projects related to LP.
3. Travel regularly to various Room to Read direct implementation country offices (in South Asia, Southeast Asia, and Africa) and specific project sites to execute LP RM&E activities.
4. Train and mentor RM&E staff based in Room to Read direct implementation Country Offices and specific project sites to execute RM&E activities following the best standards in the industry.
5. Extensively engage with (i) preparation and/or adaption of various RME data collection tools, (ii) training/ technical support to relevant staff on data collection and data quality monitoring, (iii) cleaning of raw data, (iv) analysis of cleaned data, and (v) preparation of RM&E products (in different formats such as detailed reports, brief reports, peer-reviewed publications, policy briefs, presentations, communications, summaries, etc.) for internal and external audiences.
6. Lead RM&E design consultation processes with program and operations colleagues.
7. Contribute to proposals development with a focus on technical approach.
8. Stay informed about M&E and research trends in early/ primary grade literacy to inform our strategy accordingly.
9. Network with other institutions running similar programs to find areas of collaboration and knowledge sharing.
10. Identify partnership opportunities aligned with Room to Read’s Strategic Plan to increase thought-leadership of the organization.
11. Represent Room to Read in different forums with a focus on our Literacy RM&E work.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of applicable experience with research, monitoring, and evaluation activities in developing countries.
- Strong technical competence in experience in creating quantitative research designs and monitoring and evaluation frameworks and methods.
- Strong quantitative data analysis skills with proven ability to work with Stata.
- Technical competence and experience with mixed-method or qualitative research and evaluations preferred. Qualitative data analysis skills and ability to work with qualitative data analysis software will be an advantage.
- Proven previous experience in preparing various type of RME products in the form of detailed report, policy briefs, peer-reviewed publications, and presentations.
- Experience with designing and coding instruments using digital data collection platforms.
- Experience preparing for and overseeing large-scale data collection in developing countries.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to travel frequently to different countries and project sites
- Prior experience in working with low-income communities and/or living in one or more South Asian/ Southeast Asian/ African countries (preferably in at least one country outside of the country of origin)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural work environment and establish harmonious relationships both within and outside the organization
- Ability to work efficiently across different time zones and virtual web-based environment
- Post-graduate degree in a related field (e.g., education, economics, statistics, development studies, etc.). Doctoral degree preferred.
- Legally eligible to work in the preferred location; no sponsorship will be provided by Room to Read.
- Prior exposure to research, monitoring and evaluation for early grade literacy preferred. Additionally, prior exposure to research, monitoring and
- evaluation for pre-primary education will be an advantage.
- Experience with digital transformation and visualization strategies.
- Experience designing and coding instruments in SurveyCTO.
- Doctoral degree in a related field.
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include 13th month bonus, retirement benefits such as Provident Fund, medical insurance, performance bonus etc. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply here You will be asked to complete an online application and upload your resume and cover letter. You will receive an email confirmation when your application has been received.
Alternately visit our website Careers (myworkdayjobs.com) and apply online for the position of “Manager,Global Literacy Research Monitoring &Evaluation.
No letters, calls, faxes, or drop-ins are encouraged. Due to the high applicant volume, we regret that we are not able to send personalized responses to all applicants. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. Room to Read is a child-safe organization; all personnel are expected to adhere to Room to Read’s Child Protection Policy and Child Protection Code of Conduct.
Here are the links for applicants: Careers (myworkdayjobs.com)
For quick apply, resume can also be sent to email@example.com