Table of Contents
Program Officer Vacancy At Nutrition International
Employment Type: Full Time Job Description
Location: Dodoma, Tanzania
Deadline for submission: 26th October 2023
At Nutrition International, we make a difference, because nutrition is the difference.
Woven into the very fabric of our approach is the passion and drive of our global team of over 600 people, working in 13 offices across 11 countries with one common goal: transforming the lives of people who need it most through improved nutrition.
If you are a motivated and passionate individual who shares our conviction that a better world is possible through improved nutrition, wants to leave the world a little better than they found it, and is looking to be part of a global team with a clear vision, we want to hear from you. Please consider applying for the position below.
Know our team
The 7-year, gender-transformative and human rights-based REACTS-IN project is an integrated, multisectoral, evidence-based model to improve nutrition, nutrition-related rights, and gender equality for the poorest women, adolescent girls, and children under five years of age. This will be achieved through three intermediate outcomes: ensuring women and adolescent girls have equitable access to nutrition, health, WASH and SRHR practices; enhanced availability, and quality of gender-equitable and responsive nutrition, health and SRH services; and strengthened effectiveness of local stakeholders including rights groups in realizing the nutrition and SRH rights of women and adolescent girls. The program will make a notable contribution to the advancement of global health, and alleviation of poverty for women, adolescent girls, children, and other household members in Bangladesh, Kenya, Tanzania and Somalia. In Tanzania, REACTS IN project will be implemented in Simiyu region.
About the role
This 5.5-year position is responsible for the overall leadership of the NI contributions to REACTS-IN and is accountable for the timely and high-quality implementation of NI interventions in Tanzania. The project is implemented in partnership with local government, health facilities and communities to achieve its outcomes. Leadership responsibilities include day-to-day planning, implementing, and tracking of progress against project deliverables, to ensure targets are met through the efficient and effective management of resources. You will also be responsible for developing and stewarding good relationships with the prime (World Vision Canada), project implementing partners and with key stakeholders in Tanzania.
- Support the Country office in development of the project strategy plans, annual workplans and budget plans with regular updating.
- Support to identify, select and contract project implementing partners as per the approved workplan.
- Review all relevant contracting and payment documents the REACTS-IN program in line with NI contract and financial management procedures.
- Monitor regularly the REACTS-IN budget and approve financial commitments for various contracts in the
- Database and escalate issues in a timely manner to the relevant staff for correction during execution.
- Work closely with the regional program team to develop/review annual/quarterly/monthly Joint work plans, budget, and monitoring framework.
- Ensure that work plan activities are implemented as scheduled and per the approved budgets.
- Facilitate field monitoring visits to provide support, identify challenges, provide recommendations and corrective actions to ensure that the project activities are being executed according to agreed strategy and contractual commitments.
- Liaise with NI’s technical team in the Region and Home Office (Global Technical Services) to ensure adequate technical oversight and quality assurance
- Participate in the design of research, monitoring and evaluation activities for the REACTS-IN program and work closely with researchers and external evaluators to ensure approaches and methods respond to project needs.
- Ensure quality and timely submission of both technical and financial reports to NI and WVI.
- In coordination with the M&E officer and Country director, participate in planning, coordination and execution of Monitoring and Reporting activities including M&E capacity assessment, performance review at Regional and Sub regional level data quality assurance mechanisms.
- Build and maintain good collaborative relations with the consortium partners, WVI, MOH and MOE (Regional, Sub- Regional, facility & community levels) and other partners by promoting information sharing and spearheading the REACTS-IN advocacy agenda.
- Participate and represent NI in various nutrition and health coordination forums including Technical Working Group meetings and other multi-sectoral forums at National, Regional and Sub-Regional level.
- A master’s degree from a recognized university in one of the following areas: nutrition, public health, international development and/or a related field.
- At least 5 years of experience implementing Child health, Nutrition, school health, adolescents’ programs 3 years’ experience working in program management environment.
- Experience in Adolescent and school health programs is an added advantage.
- Experience with micronutrient supplementation programs and grants management are desirable.
- Well versed with Tanzania’s health system and especially at Regional and District level
- Demonstrable project management skills
- Proficiency in English and Swahili Language
- At least 5 – 7 years of experience in donor funded program/project implementation/supervision, monitoring and evaluation desirable.
- Strong expertise in health system strengthening is an added advantage.
What we offer
A competitive market pay, health and dental benefits and pension plan, flexible work hours, work from home, four weeks of vacation (plus public holidays) and support for learning and development opportunities. We offer a collaborative and engaging work environment.
Nutrition International is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible work environment. Upon request, accommodations due to a disability are available throughout the selection process.
How to apply