Position Title: Programme Assistant
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reporting to: Country Programme Coordinator
Type of contract: Initial contract for one year, including a probationary period of 3 months, with a possibility of extension
Wetlands International is a global network organisation with 20 offices that share the name and brand ‘Wetlands International’ and implement a joint ‘Strategic Intent’. The organisation has its global office in Ede-Wageningen(Netherlands). Wetlands International works globally, regionally and nationally toward the conservation and wise use of wetlands to benefit biodiversity and human well-being. It is the only global NGO dedicated to the conservation and wise use of wetlands.
In the Eastern Africa region, Wetlands International has operations in Kenya, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Uganda and South Sudan. Operations are expanding and are expected to continue to grow in the coming years. The Wetlands International Eastern Africa office has responsibility for: sub-regional partnerships; communications; network development and nurturing; resources development; programme and project development, execution and reporting; human resources management; and country operations.
Wetlands International Eastern Africa is seeking a Programme Assistant for its Eastern Africa Wetland Initiative (EAWI) which will be implemented for 3 years (2021 to 2024). The initiative will address the drivers to loss of wetlands and their biodiversity in Eastern Africa by putting in place enabling conditions for integrated wetland management solutions at landscape and Eco regional scales. The aim of the Initiative is that government agencies, civil society and community groups jointly safeguard and restore wetlands of the Rift Valley and Mangrove eco-regions. The project has 4 major components: Knowledge Generation; Capacity Building and Institutional Development; Actions on the Ground; and Policy. The project will work with differentWetlands International offices with partners at national, regional and global level.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assist the Programme Coordinator effectivemanagement and coordination of the Eastern Africa Wetland Initiative portfolio and ensure it effectively delivers against the work plan and results framework.
- Support community mobilization for effective implementation of Eastern Africa Wetland Initiatives.
- Assist the Project Officer in coordinating the implementation of the project with the other CSOs
- Undertake participatory natural resource management in consultation with the local communities and other key relevant stakeholders;
- Contribute to drafting of progress reports for the donors and Wetlands International network.
- Liaise with project partners and teams with a view of ensuring high quality deliverables and outcomes;
- Undertake logistical and administrative tasks related to project implementation including organizing project meetings and events, preparation and dissemination of meeting minutes, materials and results;
- Contribute to development of bankable conservation proposals as part of the wider resource mobilisation strategy
- Carry out relevant tasks on request and agreement with line manager
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in conservation, natural resource management, environmental science, forestry, water resources or terrestrial ecology or related field. A social development or community development degree with experience in Natural resource management will be considered.
- Good project management skills.
- Minimum working experience of three (3) years in natural resources management.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in project management and partner relations
- Ability to work independently as part of multi-cultural teams in an international environment;
- Proven track record in a similar position in the NGO sector in Eastern Africa;
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability in team management and collaboration;
- Excellent verbal and communication skills; good command of English and/or Swahili will be an added advantage;
- Excellent organisational and networking skills, team-oriented attitude and ability to work as part of a team
- Competitive remuneration according to Wetlands International Eastern Africa standards.
Interested candidates that meet the required qualification and experience are invited to submit their CVs and soft-copy of credentials along with an application letter to: [email protected]
Clearly indicate “Application for Programme Assistant TZ position” in the title of your mail. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Applications will be received only until 1st December 2021