Job role: Sawmill Production Coordinator
The New Forests Company is a sustainable forestry company with operations in Tanzania and Uganda, as well as a Group office in Johannesburg, South Africa. Our mission is to become the premier Pan-African, vertically integrated, socially responsible, sustainable timber company, sharing the value we create with our shareholders, employees, customers, and neighboring communities. We are an agent of change through responsible forestry, timber processing, profitability, employment, conservation, and community development. Where necessary, we challenge the status quo and established business models, redefine the role of companies as drivers of economic growth in Africa. See more at www.newforests.earth.
Purpose of the position:
Coordinates all sawmill activities, reviews production schedules and establishes priorities for specific customer orders and establishes priorities and availability according to the order book.
Key Result Areas and accountabilities:
- Work closely with site sawmill supervisors/Operators and dispatch clerks. ➢ Liaising with finance at all times to determine customer prepayments and daily balances.
- Confers with site supervisors to determine progress of customer orders.
- Monitor all sawmill expenses against budget on a daily basis, including diesel usage per machine on site.
- Issuance of loading instructions to sawmill sites
- Keeping an updated customer base at all times
- Direct communication with customers on their requirements.
- Putting together daily reports per machine on site.
- Inventory management.
- Take part in stock taking periodically.
- Submit daily, weekly, and monthly reports on achievement against budget. ➢ Compiles reports concerning progress of work and downtime due to failures of machines and equipment to apprise production.
- Reconciliation of manpower numbers and hours worked.
2. Efficiency and Delivery
- Ensuring conformance to budget of all OPEX
- Analyze production figures and all other data to improve sawmill efficiency
- Coordinate efficiently sawmill production, dispatch procedures and their implementation
- Flexibility to work extra hours and in shifts
- Perform daily and weekly reports efficiently
3. Risk Management
- Ensure that internal controls are in place to safeguard all company assets ➢ Implement and maintain relevant Employee Health, Safety and Environmental practices for the facility and do regular checks and maintenance by leading a team of Health & Safety representatives.
4. People and Partnerships
- Health & Safety Management
- Work closely (hand in hand) with finance, site supervisors and dispatch clerks.
- Link between mill and customers.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by line manager.
5. Profitability and Sustainability
- Provide input into the budget process and manage all expenditure stringently within budgetary guidelines
- Monitor raw material and inventory stock levels and align working capital needs of the plant
Skills, Knowledge & Competencies required to perform this role:
- Good leadership skills and management of teams
- Ability to build, manage and supervise teams of semi-skilled workers ➢ Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent working knowledge of wood and wood technology. This includes knowledge of wood properties, timber grading, laboratory activities, timber drying
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Basic understanding of budgeting cost management and procurement practices.
- Ability to produce management reports in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Strong focus on quality and quality management practices
- Ability to manage performance and discipline amongst employees ➢ Proven ability to identify training needs, provide on-the-job training to teams, coach employees and manage their delivery and productivity. ➢ Knowledge of the ISO9001 process would be an advantage.
Essential: Qualified in wood technology | Forestry | applicable science Preferred: Any appropriate management qualification would be an advantage.
Years of experience required to perform this role
- At least 4 years in a supervisory role with responsibility for end-to-end delivery of a process.
Desired Start Date: 01 July 2022
How to apply
If you are interested, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 29th of May 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
“NFC is an equal opportunity employer and women are encouraged to apply”