Anti-Human Trafficking and Child Protection Specialist
Dar es Salaam
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Tanzania has defined a range of development goals in the Tanzania Development Vision 2025 which include the creation of high-quality livelihoods; peace, stability, and unity; good governance; a well-educated and learning society; and a competitive economy capable of sustainable growth and shared benefits but all of these development objectives may be undermined by serious and organized crime (SOC). This role is part of a project financed by the FCDO and the European Union and managed by UNDP that seeks to address aspects of serious and organized crime (SOC). Tanzania faces a number of challenges with regard to child sexual exploitation and abuse (CSEA) and in particular online child abuse.
One strand of the project seeks to strengthen Tanzania’s ability to respond to the international dimensions of human trafficking and child protection as Tanzania currently lacks the capability to collect and analyze the available intelligence to support investigations and prosecutions of physical and online child abuse perpetrated in Tanzania. With regard to trafficking, Tanzania has inadequate means of preventing vulnerable children from being trafficked in and out of Tanzania or of disrupting the networks responsible for doing so. The project will establish an Anti-Human Trafficking and Child Protection Unit and the role will be based in this Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the establishment of the Anti-Human Trafficking and Child Protection Unit (AHTCPU);
- Assist the Government to establish a dedicated unit of specialists to carry out investigations against individuals;
- Identified as being at the high end of high risk who operate on-line and target the most vulnerable within society.
- Mentor the head of the Unit to manage and lead a team responsible for developing and progressing investigations (through methods including traditional and technical evidential capture);
- Secure international evidence where appropriate and build cases through to a judicial outcome;
- Perform the role of subject matter expert and senior investigating officer.
- Mentor the head of the unit to manage complex investigations and projects.
- To ensure that they are carried out thoroughly in accordance with policy and relevant Tanzanian legislation.
- Ensure local/national strategy, policy, legislative frameworks and operational priorities are developed and promoted.
- Amongst Child Protection Law Enforcement partners and government departments;
- Mentor the head of unit and assist in setting direction for operational activity.
- Assist in communicating proposed activity to staff and stakeholders.
- Set and monitor operational performance and ensure that all operations and projects align with strategic objectives, comply with relevant control strategies
- Create and oversee risk registers and report regularly to relevant stakeholders;
- Manage change activity and communicate proposed changes with stakeholders;
- Build good working relationships with both internal and external partners including other law enforcement agencies and the NPS.
- Anti-Human Trafficking and Child Protection Specialist Job Vacancy at UNDP
The AHTPCU Expert will report directly to the Programme Specialist – Governance within UNDP. S/he will have a close working relationship with the designated Government SOC -Project Coordinator within the National Prosecutions Services.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact;
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems;
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences;
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands;
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results;
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration;
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
2030 Agenda: Peace
Rule of Law, Security and Human Rights Access to Justice
Business Management Partnerships Management
Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
2030 Agenda: Peace
Human Rights /HRBA
2030 Agenda: Peace
Rule of Law, Security and Human Rights Rule of Law, Justice and Security
Business Management: Monitoring
Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
2030 Agenda: Engagement & Effectiveness
Effectiveness: Capacities to enhance aid transparency
2030 Agenda: Engagement & Effectiveness
Effectiveness: Aid Coordination.
Anti-Human Trafficking and Child Protection Specialist Job Vacancy at UNDP
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Security Studies, Public Administration or related fields.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of Master’s Degree
- 7 years (Master Degree) or 9 years (Bachelor Degree) in the investigation and management of serious and organized crime;
- Proven law enforcement operational experience investigating CSEA SOC;
- Substantial experience in managing investigations plans and strategies, or financial strategies to maximize disruption outcomes;
- Completion of detailed risk assessments in support of operational activity;
- Comprehensive understanding and application of appropriate law enforcement decision models;
- Comprehensive understanding and application of SOC Case Decision Logs;
- Manage sensitive intelligence products and dissemination to relevant partners;
- Work in partnership with Child Protection Advisors as a Multi-Agency Service Hub Approach to ensure all safeguarding measures are considered and actioned;
- A thorough understanding of the relevant Tanzanian legislation (including international law) affecting operational Agency activity, CSEA, RASSO enforcement techniques, investigative strategies and intelligence gathering capabilities;
- Proven experience of successfully leading a team to deliver against operational objectives and performance;
- Experience in effective operational decision making with accountability for decisions made;
- Proven international police operational activity;
- Completion of Suicide prevention strategy for each suspect arrested as part of operational activity;
- Senior police PIP2 or equivalent experience; PIP2 or equivalent supervisor or manager;
- Computer proficiency;
- Strong drafting writing and communication skills.
- Language Requirement
- Excellent verbal and written command of English;
- Knowledge of Kiswahili would be an added advantage.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Apply Before 06/04/2022, 06:59 AM