Dar es Salaam
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) on behalf of the International Potato Center International (CIP) is seeking a Driver/Field Assistant.
Background: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research organization with a global mandate to conduct research on genetic resources of potatoes, sweetpotatoes, and other Andean roots and tubers, crop genetic enhancement and improvement, integrated crop management and sustainable management of natural resources.
Job Summary: To drive project staff and maintain office vehicles in proper condition. This work is undertaken as part of the Sweetpotato Component of the Program for Seed System Innovations for Vegetatively Propagated Crops in Africa (PROSSIVA) implemented by the International Potato Center (CIP) and TARI. The Program for Seed System Innovation of Vegetatively propagated crops (VPCs) in Africa (PROSSIVA) will develop and validate packages of innovations to strengthen functional VPC seed systems and will work with partners to catalyze their scaling in five target countries of sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). The Sweetpotato Component aims to improve the crop’s seed system through technological, marketing, and institutional innovations that deliver affordable quality seed of market-preferred varieties to actors in Tanzania in a timely manner. The Sweetpotato Component will be implemented at the Lake Zone of Tanzania. The Driver will be based in Mwanza. This position will report to PROSSIVA’s Principal Investigator for the Sweetpotato Component.
Duty Station: This is a Nationally Recruited Position, and the incumbent will be based in Mwanza, Tanzania.
- Carrying out driving duties in a safe and courteous manner as per CIP Travel Policy and the Tanzania Traffic Act.
- Ensure use of project vehicles follows CIP motor vehicle policy, drive vehicles safely and defensively to avoid any incidents or accidents and ensure compliance with CIP driving policy in case of involvement in an accident.
- Report accidents or incidents to the supervisor in a timely manner.
- Operates, maintains, and cleans assigned vehicles with care and reports any damage immediately to the supervisor.
- Drive project vehicles for transportation of project staff to implement field activities in project target locations.
- Before proceeding on field trips ensure all travel requirements are met and liaise with staff traveling with for instructions.
- Continuously monitor the condition of assigned vehicles while driving and promptly report defects.
- Ensuring that the vehicle log sheets are filled on daily basis when the vehicle is in use. Ensure all vehicle costs incurred while in the field are reported and original receipts presented.
- Ensure that routine service and maintenance of vehicles is undertaken in a timely manner and with a reputable service provider(s)
- Assists research staff in field activities.
- Other duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
Qualification, Experience and Key Skills
- Minimum of form four education.
- Minimum 5 years of professional driving experience of light and heavy vehicles.
- Must have a clean and valid Tanzania driver’s license.
- Hands-on experience in simple maintenance of vehicles.
- Knowledge of defensive driving is an added advantage.
- Good knowledge of spoken and written Kiswahili. Basic knowledge of spoken and written English
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to relate well with diverse culture.
- Reliable and ability to work effectively and respectfully.
- The initial contract for the position is for two years: renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
- The duty station for the position will be IITA in Dares Salaam.
- This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
How to Apply:
Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.0. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to:
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope. Please note that any applications without the reference indicated will be automatically disqualified.
The deadline for submitting the application is 10 March 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.