Job Opportunity at WFP – National Logistics Officer
National Logistics Officer (Rail Cold Chain Project) SSA 8
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Language required:
Advanced University degree in Supply Chain, Transport and Logistics, Economics, Commerce, Business Administration, Engineering, Accounting, and Finance or other relevant fields, or First University degree with additional relevant work experience and/or training/courses.
Fluency in written and spoken English and Swahili language.
The WFP Tanzania Country Strategic Plan 2022-2027 seeks to ensure that vulnerable populations achieve climate-resilient livelihoods and improved food security and nutrition through sustained smallholder access to markets, enhanced value chains, and sustainable management of natural resources. This objective will be achieved by supporting smallholder men and women producers to diversify livelihoods, reduce post-harvest loss, and improve access to information, technologies, and markets.
The Unit is looking into recruiting a National Logistics Officer (Rail Cold Chain Project) reporting to the Head of the Supply Chain. The candidate will manage, lead on, and provide expert advice and oversight to the rail cold chain logistics operations implemented by Tanzania Railway Corporation (TRC) partnering with other key supply chain functions to ensure an integrated supply chain approach to meeting the rail cold chain services needs of beneficiaries.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to the development and implementation of supply chain plans and procedures, in line with the global WFP supply chain strategy and regional/functional strategies, policies and plans, to achieve operational cost efficiency, agility, reliability, quality and to support national capacity strengthening.
- Contribute to country context analyses and management of end-to-end operational supply chain and retail networks, in order to support addressing operational supply chain challenges and obtaining operational optimization.
- Contribute to the implementation of supply chain operations, initiatives and services to ensure a timely, cost-effective and integrated approach with core activities and services.
- Collect and analyze data and put together reports highlighting opportunities for improvement and effective operationalization of supply chain within the area of responsibility.
- Conduct portions of financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out recommendations to the supervisor for maximizing use of resources and effectiveness of supply chain operations.
- Partner at the operational level and collaborate with counterparts in the key supply chain functions contributing to an integrated supply chain approach to food assistance and cross-functional operational alignment.
- Conduct portions of market analysis and supply chain network mapping for the review of the supervisor, to support wider analytics on the selection of an appropriate operation modalities to improve supply chain performance.
- Support supply chain projects or operational day-to-day activities in compliance with the established supply chain strategies, policies, procedures and controls, and following corporate standards, contributing to quality control, loss prevention, risk mitigation and cost effectiveness.
- Support monitoring supply chain activities to check that appropriate internal controls are followed to increase the day-to-day efficiencies and overall performance of supply chain operations.
Support management of service providers/vendors, port, fleet and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient planning and execution of WFP operations.
- Prepare accurate and timely reports or support preparation of complex reports, dashboards and other visual materials on supply chain activities for supervisor’s review to contribute to informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
- Guide support staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Contribute to preparedness actions and support quick emergency response to deploy food and resources at the onset of the crisis.
- Other as required.
- Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
- Supply Chain Strategy Demonstrates understanding of supply chain strategies and corporate frameworks.
- Supports analytical and conceptual work on supply chain strategy and implementation.
- Supply Chain & Networks Management Demonstrates robust understanding of end-to-end supply chain management.
- Supports the design and implementation of supply chain, retail and partnership networks.
- Supports the design and integrated delivery of supply chain services.
- Supply Chain Capacity Strengthening Demonstrates robust understanding of supply chain capacity strengthening in operational contexts.
- Implements capacity development initiatives in own area of responsibility.
- Supply Chain Performance & Development Supports integrated supply chain information management and conducts advanced Supply Chain and performance analytics.
- Contributes to supply chain improvement and innovation initiatives.
- Supply Chain Planning Demonstrates robust understanding of supply chain planning in operational contexts.
- Designs plans and operational scenarios in collaboration with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Leverages expert intelligence and system data to conduct planning analytics.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- 3 years or more of postgraduate professional experience in a relevant field of work, specifically in cold chain logistics management, with a background and interest in railways and humanitarian development.
- Experience coordinating service providers’ contract execution.
- Experience arranging supplier deliveries and cold chain logistics operations through road, rail, air, sea, and lakes.
- Experience in evaluating offers and writing proposals.
- Experience in report writing.
- Timely, cost-effective, and efficient deliveries of rail cold chain commodities.
- Rail cold chain logistics operations and staff are managed, and leadership and oversight are provided.
- Effective partnership is maintained with the key rail cold chain logistics stakeholders and functions to ensure an integrated supply chain approach to meeting the rail cold chain assistance needs of beneficiaries.
- Timely, concise, and effective analytical rail cold chain logistics operations report for informed decision-making.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Only Tanzania nationals can apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for Applications: 03 September 2023
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.